Friday, March 1, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 27: What Really Matters

Today was “Grandparents Day” at my grandson’s preschool.  I woke up early and was able to get an hour in on my bike before we left, so did manage to get some training in (ultimately got in another hour in the evening and a short 3 1/2 mile run as well).  But the training doesn’t matter.  Being a grandpa does.  The look in my grandson’s eyes when he sees my wife and I is worth everything in the world.  It’s what really matters.  He was excited to have us at preschool today, and I think he wanted to show off his cycling skills to his grandpa!  He loves riding a tricycle in our yard, and it seems that’s his favorite pastime at school as well.  Perhaps I have a future triathlete, or possibly a professional cyclist?  Time will tell, but this kid loves activity.  He also loves to paint!  He painted a decorated a picture frame that will have a picture of the three of us in it.  

I will always remember the day this little guy was born.  I held him and told him that I’d always have his back.  And I will.  There is something about being a grandpa that is the most special thing in the world.  As much as I enjoy my ironman training, and as much as I look forward to the rest of my journey to Kona, I wouldn’t trade any of it for the feeling that I have in being a grandpa.  It’s a reminder as to what really matters.  Training can come and go, racing is essentially a one day experience, but being a grandpa is about one’s life.  And, it’s a life long endeavor that I cherish ore than anything else.

I like to remind myself that the true meaning of my journey to Kona is in each moment of each day.  Staying in the moment is not only the key to training, it is the key to ironman racing, and it is the key to life.  Watching my grandson play at school, spending time with him, observing the joy he gets from the smallest things, that is truly what is special and what matters.  I won’t make the mistake that I made with my daughters when it comes to overplaying my interest in triathlon’s.  He already knows that papa loves to ride a bicycle, and he does to!  I can’t say that I could be any happier!  


We’ve had a lot going on in our lives this week.  Our house fell out of escrow, but was back in escrow within a day with a new buyer. I had to “negotiate” with the mold remediation company as they tried to take my money.  We did get rid of the mold, however!  It’s remarkable how dangerous stuff can lurk in ones house.  I don’t know how many people are aware of the dangers of things that they can’t see. My low back has been a little sore this week, but I’ve run, biked and swam through it.  I’m expecting it to resolve on its own.  Most importantly, we got to go to grandparent’s day today and spend the morning with the person that means the world to me.  That’s what really matters!

No comments: