Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 44: Taking Care of Oneself

I got a massage today, and my ribcage feels a lot better.  It's not completely healed, but it feels a lot better.  A good massage, or whatever treatment works best for the individual is so important for recovery.  In fact, I always tell people that having someone who can lay hands on you, who knows you well, is more important than the discipline itself.  For some people it's a massage therapist, for others, a chiropractor, and yet for others a naturopath.  What matters the most is that the person knows you.

I also rode my bike today for about 2 hours.  I didn't ride too hard, nor too easy, but I got the work in. The key is not to overdo it.  Because, that's what I do. I push as hard as I can.  Sometimes, that push is too much.  I have to depend on my body to know when to back off and to take care of myself. It's an ongoing struggle.  On the other hand, the whole idea of training is to cause breakdown, so that recovery makes you stronger.  So, it's a bit of a tightrope.

There are other ways to take care of oneself.  The emotional and mental aspects are equally important to the physical ones.  I'm still struggling to keep up with daily meditation. I've been training consistently.  I've been writing consistently.  Now I just need to meditate consistently.  The ultimate goal is the big picture, and what matters the most.  Taking care of myself now will pay off in the long run.  Another good life metaphor.

No comments: