Saturday, March 23, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 48: Moving

We are moving to a new house in 11 days.  We officially started moving things yesterday, and fully engaged today.  In fact, today, I spent the whole day preparing to move my daughter into her new apartment.  So, we're moving my daughter into an apartment, which is 30 minutes east of us, an we're moving our stuff to our new house, which is 30 minutes west of us.  Today was spent packing, moving, and driving.  Fortunately, I didn't do a workout this morning, because if I did, I'd have been more tired tonight than I ended up being.  And yes, I'm tired.  While I didn't run, bike or swim today, I moved boxes back and forth all day long.  That's what I did yesterday, and it's what I'm going to do for most of the next two days.  I don't consider these four days to be rest days, not even close.

One week ago, while moving boxes, I popped a rib out of place.  This time, I'm being super careful.  No excessive twisting or turning.  No heavy lifting.  I'm getting a lot of exercise, and it's pretty low key.  I've also had two massages in the last few days, in order to make sure that my muscles are improving.  I've got to take care of myself.  Being the best athlete that I can be requires a full range of  things.  Rest, recovery, being careful not to overdo some things, are all essential parts of the total approach that I need to take.

I've written about the stress that I've been under and the toll it's taken on me.  The move isn't easy either, but I'm really trying to keep it all together.  There is one thing that I can be sure of, and that's the fact that once we move, a lot of the pressure will be off.  I'm sure that there will be new pressures, but I think I'll find a way of dealing with those.  Sometimes it's ok not to have to test one's limits.

No comments: