Monday, March 18, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 43: Equanimity

I love watching my grandson find joy in everything he does. At 3 1/2 years old, he loves it all! At gymnastics class, he pretty much likes anything they have him do.  Jumping, tumbling, running. This morning he was losing his socks, they were falling off, so the instructor had him take his socks off.  He started crying, because he loves his socks! He’s at a stage where he cries easily. Some of it is probably for attention, but some of it is learning emotions. It’s part of learning new things! Yelling, crying, laughing, it’s all a joy to do. He loves the sounds of new words. He can’t say “oh my god!” too many times, he just loves how it sounds. 

What happens to us as we get older that we forget the joys of everything we encounter every day in our lives?  I think it’s one of the reasons for grandchildren. They are a reminder that there is joy in the little things we see and hear and do every day.  Little kids are a reminder to live our lives in the moment, to feel each moment out of the context of the rest of our lives. Trying to make sense of our lives usually doesn’t make sense anyway. We’re not here to make sense, we’re here to appreciate the joys that the younger versions of ourselves seem to recognize so naturally.

I have felt the need to accomplish for as long as I can remember. To make a difference. To achieve. To help those around me, whoever they are. To help my family. What about me? What about finding joy in the things I do, rather than finding satisfaction in a surge of cortisol from interactions with other people. Does that cortisol surge actually bring satisfaction, or does it just bring a surge of cortisol? And is that actually healthy? Is it healthier to achieve those surges through athletic endeavors? Is that more natural? I’m beginning to think so. 


Equanimity is my word for the day. My grandson has a level of equanimity that is probably healthy. I’ve talked about balance in other blogs. That concept has found its way back. When we’re off balance, we fall. Wether it’s physical or emotional, balance matters. Equanimity is all about that emotional balance.  It doesn’t mean not feeling, in fact, it’s about calmness, which can be achieved in joy and happiness and even exultation.  When I am at my best swimming, biking or running, I’m usually in a state of equanimity. It’s what I need to strive for in my daily life, just like my grandson.

No comments: