Friday, March 22, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 47: Friendship

I'm reminded today of the value of good friends.  My day started with a text from one of my friends.  We check up on each other's training and life status.  Whether we talk or text every couple of days or every couple of months, we know that we're friends.  That's really the very definition of a friend. Someone you can converse with and it seems like you talk everyday, even if it's been awhile.  

Yesterday, I actually called another friend, whom I spent New Year's with doing the 100 mile charity event.  Sign up for next years event is coming up in ten days, and I have a big decision to make.  I'm pretty sure that I've made that decision.  Not only was spending 55 hours with a good friend, I made a lot of new friends in the process. And, all for an incredible cause.  The event is literally like a get together of good friends.

To top all of this off, we're preparing to move this weekend, and one of my good friends flew here all the way from Denver to help.  The other thing that I realize identifies a good friend is the ability to talk about anything that's important in ones life. That's friendship. 

As a child, I really didn't have too many friends.  I've always been the kind of person who does well keeping to myself, and growing up I usually had one or two friends at a time.  During high school, I did develop a larger group of friends, but throughout my work life, I've maintained a relatively small group of friends.  Even more challenging, I've been in relative positions of authority in the workplace, which makes it harder to have a "friend" relationship.  Interestingly, since I left my job, I'm glad that some of the people who used to work for me are now true friends.

One of my favorite movies is "It's a Wonderful Life." "Remember no man is a failure who has friends."

No comments: