Sunday, March 31, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 56: Stumbling

So just as planned, I went out today for my trail run despite the fact that my quads were still a little sore from Friday’s hard downhill mile. These are truly Ironman training days. The idea is to run on legs that feel like they’ve already been through a good portion of an Ironman race. For some reason, I have a tendency to try to add on additional stressors to these training days. 

Today, I was 5 miles into my trail run, truly getting into a zone where I was feeling one with my surroundings, and then I was. I have a tendency to stumble on the smallest little rocks or indentations on the trail especially when I’m not paying attention and that is what happened today. One second I was blissfully in the zone enjoying the trail, and the next moment I was on the ground. I think I landed on my left shoulder and left rib cage it felt like something shifted in a good way although that’s only part of it. I’m pretty sure that I bruised part of my left rib and did something to the middle finger of my left hand. Fortunately, that is all. My legs are fine my hip is fine my back is fine. I will be fine. I have to note also that I’ve had a lot of emotion in me as of late and I sat on the ground for about a minute and felt like I was going to cry. That had nothing to do with the run, that was just me.  

Anyway, I brushed off the dirt, got up and ran the 5 miles home with only a modicum of discomfort in my left rib cage area, or rather, ignoring the pain because I knew I had no choice but to do so. Stumbles are a part of life, big stumbles small stumbles, all stumbles, we fall and then we pick ourselves up. It’s ironic that the smallest of stumbles can hurt a lot but that’s just the way life and Ironman training are.

No comments: