Friday, March 8, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 34: Fighting Ageism

Another full day at the Society for Post Acute and Long Term Care (AMDA) Annual Meeting.  I vacillate between enjoying the field I've been in for 30 years and the camaraderie of seeing old friends with the frustration and pessimism that has dogged me since I left my job in this challenging industry in November.  Today was another day with these very feelings.  On a positive note, I'm also talking to people about possible opportunities to engage the industry from other angles that will avoid the negativity that I feel.

I've spent the greater portion of my life advocating for older adults and fighting against ageism.  I've met too many people who place diminished value on frail older adults.  This type of attitude doesn't translate well in the senior housing and healthcare industry.  It lends itself to not caring that much if these folks die.  That frustrates me and raises the level of my cynicism.  In many ways, it's why I will always maintain my engagement with the Wish of a Lifetime Foundation.  Ever since I first read about this wonderful organization founded by Jeremy Bloom over 10 years ago, I've been involved in supporting their mission.  If we could encourage our society to recognize that older adults have wishes and dreams, just like everyone else, maybe more people would care about what happens to older adults.  I went around the exhibit hall today and gave my Wish of a Lifetime business card to some of the exhibitors.  They struggle with gaining traction in the senior care industry, I tried to make the case that they need to help support the fight against ageism through charitable organizations such as this!

Which brings me back to why I'm at the AMDA annual meeting.  It's also why I'll also be going to the American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting in Portland in May.  Both of these organizations are focused on improving the lives of older adults.  It's what I've been about since I first decided to enter this field 36 years ago during medical school.  On the positive note of maintaining a healthy mental state, reminding myself about what really matters to me and what I've devoted my life to is the best thing to do!

No comments: