Saturday, March 2, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 28: Finding Peace

We’re all human beings, which means that none of us are perfect.  For perfectionists like myself, that presents a challenge.  It may be the reason that I like to perform hard intervals, and that to some degree, my favorite race is a 5K.  The 5K allows just the right amount of suffering and pushing right at the red line, if you’re so inclined and able to hold that line for the whole race.  Most of my 5K’s, from the very first one I did back in 1992, have taken on the pattern of starting out pretty hard, slowing down in the middle and pushing as hard as possible at the end.  Not the best way to maximize one’s 5K time, but it shows the challenge of modulating ones efforts in order to stay on the red line for an entire 5K.  

Life may be a little like this as well.  For someone type A like myself, I’m always pushing myself to achieve some goal.  My adrenaline is engaged, and I’m “off to the races.”  In the work environment, it’s quite common for me to find myself “on.”  I’m capable of staying “on” until I no longer am, and then I will typically crash. This coming week I’ll be going to an annual meeting that I typically attend.  I’ll have a tendency to engage myself in things that matter to me professionally and put myself in the “on” position.  My coach has already warned me to pay attention to my cortisol release patterns during these four days.  But it’s really every day. When I combine this with my ironman training, it’s even more complex.  The challenge to fine “peace” during the day becomes an elusive one.  So it is in the 5K of life.

My best 5K ever was as the age of 49.  I was in solid running shape at the time, and was actually in the middle of a 3 week period where I raced 5 times (a couple of dip and dashes, a sprint tri, the 5K, and an olympic tri).  At the time, I was able to hold 8 minute mile pace for the 10K of the olympic triathlon (Boulder Peak).  7 Minute miles were manageable for me in training.  And, I had the advantage of doing the 5K at sea level.  I always remember that race because I went out comfortably fast, held my pace and never slowed down or felt like I had to back off. I had enough left at the end to finish solidly.  It was my only sub 20 minute 5K ever, something that I still aspire to achieve. This goal will have to wait until after Kona, however.  And, so, I continue to try to find peace. Even as I write this, it’s clear that my goal oriented nature will always keep me aspiring to achieve something.  


With that said, I have to maintain a balance, because without that balance, I will either burn out before the end of a race, or the end of my day.  Which, at times, I do.  I did manage to sleep over 10 hours last night and took a nap today.  Hmmm, perhaps I’ve been a little tired?  Paying attention to resting is another facet in both training and life, which, with 14 weeks to go before Ironman Boulder and 32 weeks to go before Kona, I need to be diligent.

No comments: