Thursday, February 28, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 26: Streak

I woke up early today, my back was still a little sore, my legs a little tired, knowing I had an early plane to catch. I also knew that sometime before midnight tonight I needed to run. Just a mile, that’s the promise I made to myself 32 days ago.  At least one mile every day. It’s not about fitness, although it certainly doesn’t hurt to run one mile. It’s about mentally knowing that I will run today. I will run every day. That knowledge, one that I want to have in every cell and every fiber of my being, will be with me in 32 weeks when I step off the bike at Kona. Twenty six miles already has become a routine concept to me. My “twenty by twenty” (twenty straight weeks of twenty mile runs); having completed a 100 mile event; the distance is not the challenge. The “streak” is another metaphor. I will run today, tomorrow, and every day hence. Regardless of anything that might seem to be an impediment.

Originally, I figured that I would run in the evening, after my trip to Sacramento and back. But, alas, I awoke early. An opportunity to get my one mile in right away. So, in the dark, with a light drizzle, I departed. My focus on keeping a high cadence, the metronome on my watch beeping. My focus on the ground in front of me, missteps of the past remembered so as not to repeat them. The half mile point, time to turn around...but, let’s go a little further. If I’d had more time, I’m not sure how far I would’ve run today. But adding a few more minutes to my run allowed me to warm up enough to do a few short, fast efforts to get the blood flowing and my hear rate up, not to mention the positive impact on my metabolism.


My streak continues, having reached 32 days. In all of my years of running, I’ve never had such a streak. While 1.25 miles isn’t a lot, especially for someone who completed a 100 mile event, the purpose and meaning of the streak can transcend the actual distance. Successfully completing an Ironman requires running when you’d rather be it bed with your feet elevated. I’m already not phased by the distance, I aim to not be phased by the simple concept of running on tired legs under whatever conditions and circumstances challenge me. Hence, the streak. I’m also trying to develop similar streaks when it comes to writing daily (not applicable to my ironman racing, but definitely of value in regards to other aspects of my life), and meditating every day (applicable to everything!).

No comments: