Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 23: Swim Form

Over the past couple of years my ironman swim times have slowed down.  The number one reason is that I haven’t been swimming!  I’ve always prided myself on my form, and my slow times have probably been a mixture of less swim volume and less attention to proper form.  So, I took my first swim lesson in several years, and I’m excited!

The good news is that my balance is still pretty good, but my rotation, hand entry, and hand position in the water need some work.  The best news is that these are three things I can remember and focus on.

The coming weeks are going to be about doing tons of drills!  Yay:), a little “boring,” but they will get me to my ultimate goal of a faster ironman swim.  They might also get me to some other swim pacing goals.  I haven’t really given much thought to my 100 yard swim times, but after swimming a couple of 100’s in ~1:21 yesterday, before I learned what I can improve, who knows how much I can improve my 100 time?  


Swim form is like the other things I’m working on in life. Regular meditation, running every day, maintaining focus on the important things.  Function will follow form and so will my swim!

No comments: