Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 17: Writing

I threw down the gauntlet to the nursing home industry today. Having reflected a lot over the last few months I wrote an article that captured my major concern about how nursing home companies operate. I’ve dedicated my life to helping older adults and I’ve learned a lot over the years. I know what works and I know what doesn’t work.  I wanted to write something that could be utilized constructively to help improve the care of frail older adults.  It will be interesting to see the feedback I get from the article, so far it’s been very positive.

I also got a lot of help from friends and colleagues in writing the article.  I often say that everyday I learn how little I know, and so I wanted to get feedback from people I respect as I put this article together.  It went through several iterations, and I restructured it and cut out extraneous parts.  I had a lot to say, but in the end I realized it was better to save some things for future articles.  One of the best suggestions from a friend was to review each paragraph and eliminate things that weren’t consistent with the key message in that paragraph.  That was a great suggestion that really helped my article stay focused.


I’ve now had 17 days of writing, and the daily habit has been a good one.  I’m not overthinking what I’m going to write about, and let it come to me each day.  No pressure.  My training continue to go great and I had my weekly phone call with my coach today.  The next six weeks will be focused on increasing my cycling volume.  I’ll write about that tomorrow.

No comments: