Sunday, May 10, 2020

Thirty two years between scientific publications

It's been 32 years since I actually wrote a scientific paper for publication.  Ironically, one of my coauthors from that journal publication is participating in the project that I spent my day writing about.  I have to admit to being a little nervous about writing a paper that will be submitted to a peer reviewed journal.  When I made my decision not to enter academics over thirty years ago, I moved into a very different realm. My journey that has led me to being the editor-in-chief of a major geriatric textbook has "softened me up" a bit in regards to whatever reticence I may have.  Nevertheless, after spending the day today writing the first draft of a 3000 word plus paper was a bit daunting.  I've sent it to one of my colleagues for a first review, and I admit to being nervous.  It's kind of funny how that happens.

At the same time, I'm excited by the fact that we'll be writing about something that is quickly becoming news worthy.  That is the importance of testing both the residents and staff of nursing homes and assisted living facilities for the COVID-19 infection.  To lay people whom I've spoken to, this seems pretty obvious.  However, even as of last Friday, I heard reports of nursing facilities that were still resisting testing.  It's crazy.  Publishing an expert driven consensus panel on the topic should solidify the decisions that seem to be happening around the country.  Many of these decisions seem to have a "CYA" theme.  Suddenly, something that wasn't being strongly recommended a few weeks ago is about to become the law of the land.  Crazier still is the fact that the language I've seen in the last twenty four hours put a large degree of accountability on adhering to these new recommendations.  Where was everyone three weeks ago?

I have been so frustrated for the past two months by the fact that both the senior living industry and the governmental agencies that regulate and monitor them have been playing a game of chicken.  Unfortunately, those who suffer are the residents themselves.  I guess I'll have to let the facts sort themselves out over the coming months as others look back at what has transpired.  As usual, history will become clearer in the light of day.  In the meantime, I hope that my first draft survives relatively unscathed. No matter what, the experience of putting it together has been worth it.  It's always about the journey!

No comments: