Saturday, August 1, 2020

Restless Friday Nights

Restless Friday night sleep is becoming routine for me.  It's a little odd, and maybe just coincidental, or maybe represents the fact that I've truly been trying to rest my mind on the weekends.  Once again, yesterday was a long day of work, basically managing two meetings that essentially took my day from 7 am to 5pm.  Oh yes, I got in my 8 mile run  prior to the meetings.  The run itself, was fine.  My legs felt a bit sluggish, my effort was solid, but not so hard that I'd feel it all day, except that by 5pm I was knackered. Still, if I've learned one thing through this is that it's the emotional and mental fatigue that really tires me out.  Take that away, and the 8 miles is nothing.

In many ways, yesterday was about the things I love to do.  Teaching and making a difference.  Both meetings were about the things I enjoy the most. Just thinking about that sets me on my path to get my 8 mile run in this morning.  I didn't set my alarm, and yet, I'm up at 5am, because I have meetings starting yet again at 7am today.  I remember my dream from last night, which is normally not unusual, except that lately I haven't been.  Not sure what my dream meant. There was a volcanic eruption on the other side of the globe that wasn't supposed to effect us, but yet, volcanic rock was raining down from the sky and actually landed on our car.  Somehow, we were fine.  However, I decided to destroy the car because I didn't need it.  Oh yes, there was a baby sleeping in the hotel room through it all, unscathed by the melee. I'll have to figure this one out another time, because I've got no clue.

Today is the 4th day of my seven straight 8 mile runs.  This is now the middle of my third set of these.  This is where the mental toughness usually begins to hit.  I know that once I've gotten number four in the books, that five, six and seven will flow next.  It's a little odd being on an 8 day schedule, it's almost like I have this 8 day week now, defined by my new running pattern.  Yet, I still have my weekends to recover.  Perhaps I've hacked my fatigue buildup and absorption this way, especially since I won't be recovering from a running perspective while resting my mind.  Except, I have meetings today from 7am to 3:30pm.  Whoops!  There goes the "rest."  At least my day will end a little early today, around the time that I usually start feeling the full impact of my fatigue.  And so, I've gotten through my most recent restless Friday night.

No comments: