Sunday, August 2, 2020

Optics

Why do optics matter so much?  Who do they matter to?  For some reason, that's what was on my mind during my dreams last night.  Being on a national committee, I may be put in a more public spotlight at some point in the coming weeks.  That's what tends to worry some people who know how transparent I am.  I doesn't really worry me.  However, for someone as iconoclastic as I am, I still tend to be a "rule follower."  While I am willing to take risks, those risks are only within the rules of the game.  Do I care what people think?  Do I care how I look?  Do the optics matter to me?

I've often said that when I look at myself in the mirror, I just see me.  There's nothing special, I'm just another person with thoughts and feelings.  Of course, when you're in the public eye, that can change.  And, for obvious reasons.  Still, I tend to be less concerned.  Since March, I've been fierce in my willingness to tell the truth to anyone who would listen, and to those who wouldn't.  My profile has clearly been raised, and that's actually helped me to get more attention.  In fact, that may be one reason that I'm now on a national committee.  Go figure.

For the next 2-3 months, it's time to lay a bit lower.  Do my work behind the scenes.  If I'm going to ruffle any feathers, I should do it quietly, which is actually possible at this point in time.  One of the things that I've committed to since the onset of this pandemic is the need to focus during a crisis.  Right now, that focus will include maintaining a respectful distance from controversy.  I tend to actually be a collaborator and someone who likes consensus, although I'm certainly not afraid to strongly state my opinions. For now, I'll just do what I do a little more quietly.

No comments: