Sunday, August 23, 2020

Breathing Hard

I did my typical 8 mile run today.  Only it wasn't typical.  There was poor air quality, so I wore my N95 mask.  Remarkably, it really wasn't that hard, except that it was.  Wearing a mask adds an additional stress to the run.  There's no question that stress added a distinct element of additional challenge.  Then there was the 80 degree temperature and significant humidity.  Once more, by the time I finished, I was drenched in sweat.  I was breathing hard.  Ironically, the actual running effort for today's run was comfortable.  My breathing was hard, but my legs were fine.

I might want to add wearing a mask to my running regimen at times.  It is probably good for my breathing muscles.  There's no question that running in the heat and humidity also builds, just as it drains me.  I've had multiple runs this week in heat and humidity, leaving me wrung out and tired.  I'd recovered for today's run, but certainly got worn out again.

I continue to try to listen to my body and decide what to do on a daily basis.  Today that meant adding a new layer of stress to my run.  Breathing hard can come about for different reasons.  

No comments: