Monday, August 17, 2020

Feeling Responsible

My dreams last night were completely focused on the national committee that I now sit on.  As I try to remember the specifics, what I know is that I'm taking the responsibility seriously.  So what's new.  This has defined my whole life.  I am a serious person and I take current events seriously.  Only now, I'm literally part of the current event! 

There will be no 8 mile run today, it's my day off from running, giving my body a chance to rest.  I'm supposed to give my mind a chance to rest, but I haven't really been doing a good job of that.  It seems that  good walk might be in order, allowing the blood to flow, but not putting more stress on an already stressed physiology. 

What is it that has always made me feel so responsible for everything going on around me? Nature? Nurture? Most likely a combination of both.  I've seen my older daughter take things going on in the world way too seriously.  In fact, to a degree that she's unable to handle.  Which is a shame, because she's so much smarter than I am.

The committee that I'm on is comprised of a lot of smart people.  While I can certainly hold my own in this august group,  that really isn't the point.  In fact, it's a reminder that it takes a team.  That's been a really good lesson over the past five and a half months.  I've put together groups of people to engage on a variety of issues and topics related to COVID-19, and these groups have accomplished a lot.  That should be the point.  I should focus my responsibility on putting people together.  I am a leader, and a leader must lead, said Buck, in Call of the Wild.  That's who I've always been and where I'm most comfortable.  Leading doesn't have to be doing, however, and in fact, shouldn't be.  That's my responsibility.

No comments: