Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Ethics and Fatigue

I was really tired last night.  Actually, I was really tire all day yesterday.  Was it the fact that I did my seventh straight 8 mile run hard?  I felt energized after my run.  Granted, my daily 8 mile runs can definitely create fatigue.  Was it something else?  I know that my emotional state definitely impacts my fatigue level.  I woke up this morning with one thing on my mind.  Ethics.  There are many ways to look at ethics.  There are many angles to feel from ethics.  From the very first moment of recognition regarding COVID-19, I've intuitively struggled with the ethics of what was happening.  I tweeted about ageism and genocide.  I lost sleep over my recollections regarding the worst elements of the nursing home industry.

Yesterday, the Washington Post and NPR quoted me.  The topics weren't the same, but they both involved ethical issues related to nursing homes and COVID-19.  One had to do with transferring residents for financial gain.  The other had to do with the proper allocation of financial resources.  I shared the articles of Twitter.  Actually, a lot of people shared the articles.  There were those who were appalled by what they read.  They understood the moral questions posed by the articles.  There were those who saw the articles as one sided.  There are two sides to every issue.

Two sides to every issue.  Morality is a two sided coin.  One persons justice is another persons injustice.  Hopefully, this is not usually the case.  But, all too often the lines are blurred.  I spent 15 months in a job where I can now look back and appreciate the level to which the lines can be blurred. I defended the status quo, trying, as I often do, to understand the reasons from all sides. I trusted people.  I trusted motivations.  Until I didn't.  Here I am, five months into the COVID-19 pandemic, and I'm tired.  I've had many days like this.  At least now I can wonder if my fatigue is related to a hard run on top of other hard runs.  Somehow, it's more likely that my fatigue is more related to five months of passionately fighting for what I believe in rather than running 8 miles for 7 straight days three weeks in a row.

No comments: