Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Getting Settled

 I'm not sure what got me settled  yesterday.   I woke up in a very unsettled state, but everything seemed  lot better after my run.  I didn't run hard. Once again, I just ran comfortably.  It's a good feeling. In its own way, it's a settling feeling.  There is certainly something natural about running and making my morning run a regular habit.  I also really need to hone in on what I'm going to focus on in the coming weeks, months, and years.  That has certainly been unsettling.  Not knowing, literally on a daily basis, what I'm focusing on, can't be very settling.  That's been the crazy part of the past five and a half months.  Some days just take on a life of their own.  That's ok, kind of.  It's not really a long term plan.  It doesn't really allow me to get settled.  

So begins another day.  I know that in many of my blogs I write about finding peace.  That has become a constant refrain for me.  It really goes hand in hand with feeling settled.  There are days when things are just off.  That's how I woke up yesterday, but somewhere during my run, and perhaps even after writing my blog, I started to feel like I was settling in  for the day.  

Another day comes and another day goes.  Peace is an illusory concept, but one that I seem to crave. Yet, I also seem to embrace change and challenge.  How can one settle in in the midst of swirling winds and waves.  I hearken back to Ironman St. George in 2012, with the waves around me, not knowing for a moment whether I'd survive the experience.  In that moment, I recognized that I had to settle in, I had to make my own peace.  I needed to be in the moment. That's one place I often try to go back to, when I'm having trouble finding my way.  It's one way for me to get settled.

No comments: