Sunday, August 9, 2020

If it's Monday, it Must be Time to Run 8 Miles

The last three days has been a bit of a blur.  I literally and figuratively hit the wall, but I've been attentive to my health and well being and hope that I've recovered enough to run 8 miles tomorrow.  I could hardly walk yesterday due to my back spasm, and literally about every inch of my body being tight, but I had a massage today and feel much better.  I also spent the entire weekend mostly on my back watching golf.  I did get some work in, which I couldn't completely avoid, but I managed to be very efficient and rest every chance I had.  I'm hoping that I'll feel refreshed enough in the morning to get out for my 8 mile run, or however many miles my body allows me to run.  I don't doubt that I'll have the will to run 8 miles, but I can't promise that I will run 8 miles.  

I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to taking care of myself.  That certainly helped in preparing for 15 Ironman races, and it definitely came in handy when I finished Kona despite having a full blown sinus infection and feeling like crap (though I never allowed myself to acknowledge that feeling).  The problem with this type of will is that it allows you to push yourself to a place where you can actually cause harm.  I guess running/walking 100 miles counts in that regard.  My wife said that she's surprised that I hadn't crashed and burned sooner than this past Friday, and she was right.  I'm still feeling somewhat fatigued today, but I have a feeling that I'll be ok in the morning.  The key will be not to overdo it once again.  Am I listening to myself?

I only managed three sets of 8 mile runs for seven days.  The fourth set lasted all of one day and resulted in three total days off (aided by my back seizing up on me as if I was pre-Ironman).  On the other hand, I put in a solid 3 1/2 weeks of running before taking three days of complete rest.  This will be interesting.  In fact, I just realized that I'm starting fresh on a Monday for another round of running 8 miles a day.  It will be interesting to see what transpires.  I'm sure that I will take the day, and then the week, as it comes.  In the meantime, if it's Monday, it must be time to run 8 miles!

No comments: