Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 91: Five Weeks to Boulder

It's hard to believe, but there's just five weeks to Ironman Boulder.  The last couple of weeks have begun to allow me to see where my training and fitness are, and I'm hoping that the next couple of days will give me a good idea of how to prepare for this race.  Yesterday, I did my first long run in a while, running continuously for nearly 2 hours and 40 minutes.  A solid 15 mile, very hilly run truly allowed me to see where my running legs are, and the fact that I woke up today with minimal soreness, was a positive sign.  It will be interesting to see how my body reacts to two long bike rides and a long run over the past week, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

My original plan in doing Boulder was to give it everything I had and try to get a podium spot in my age group.  My injuries seemed to put a damper on that thought, but I'm curious now as to what I'm capable of.  Two five hour bike rides in the last week left me feeling pretty good, and having run a few miles immediately after the last one, well, it's a confidence builder.  While I'd have liked to put in some higher bike volume, the fact that I've felt fine after five hours in the saddle is a positive piece of information, knowing that I'll most likely have an approximately 6 hour bike split.  In preparing for Kona, I'll definitely get in some 7 or even 8 hour rides, although there may be a law of diminishing returns.  The regular daily bike volume that I'm getting may be just as important.

Yesterday's run checks off another box.  While I'm still hoping and planning for a 20 mile (or three hour) run in the next couple weeks, this one certainly sets me up positively.  I could have run longer, but stopped due to a prior engagement.  Also, I am trying not to overdo it.  My legs didn't feel great, but they never felt bad either.

Next up is my swim.  I'll have to see what the coming days bring.

No comments: