Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 86: Gut Check

Five and a half weeks until Ironman Boulder.  Just a week and a half since my 3 week layoff from my rib injury.  Saturday, I rode 5 hours solidly.  Today, I rode 5 hours again, but did a one mile run before the ride and 3 mile run after.  The best part was that I felt like I could have run several more miles.  Instead, I walked 3 miles to just get in some more healthy moving time.  Nevertheless, to be in the saddle for over 5 hours, with lots of climbing, on a road bike that wasn't even my own (rented), and then to feel comfortable running afterwards, is a great gut check as to where I am fitness wise.  In the coming few weeks, I'll test myself further with more long rides and some long runs.  The only thing missing is my swim, but the good news is that I can push my swim until close to race day without any negative effects.

The best part about today was how good my legs felt off of a long bike ride.  Obviously, being able to run well off the bike is key to a good ironman, and the fact that my legs felt good, albeit a little tired, was huge for me.  The idea of seeing what I can accomplish at Boulder is coming into focus for me.  I've been testing myself lately and passing the tests!

The next few days will be taken up with meetings, and while I'll try to get in some running time, it's ok.  I know that I'll be able to put in some more volume on Sunday, so three days of somewhat reduced training is fine, and might even be beneficial.  Nevertheless, after today, it would be nice to see what my legs feel like on the treadmill tomorrow!

No comments: