Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 107: Travel

Travel is fatiguing.  I'm reminded of the after three day of travel time. On Monday I flew to Denver, where I spent the entire day in a meeting. Tuesday, after continuing my meeting in the morning, I flew home in the afternoon.  Late Tuesday night, we drove to Victorville.  Today, we drove to St. George.  While I'd love to say that I've found time to work out during the past few days, there hasn't been any time to train.  Also, as I write this tonight, I'm tired.  The last four weeks of training have been full, culminating in a very solid weekend before my travels.  I'm pretty sure that if I had been able to rest the last three days, training would be easy right now.  However, that's not what I've been doing.  I will admit to being tired tonight.  As I've been writing over the past few month, sometimes rest is the most important workout.

Travel is definitely fatiguing.  The fact that I traveled to altitude for two days was an additional factor.   I'm not surprised that I'm tired tonight.  A I've often noted, there are different types of stressful stimuli.  There are different types of fatiguing stimuli.  Ignoring the impact of these factors will impact the immune system, which is the last thing that I want at this point in my training.  Fortunately, I can focus on getting a good night's sleep tonight.  Again, rest is my workout tonight!

My wife reminds me that I actually planned all this!  OK, maybe not the best planning, but so long a I adjust to it, I'll be fine.  There is still time for training in the upcoming days, and a few days of rest won't hurt my muscles.  Unfortunately, I'm not really offloading fatigue during this type of physical rest.  That's where sleep is important, and watching myself over the next few days as we travel to Denver.  I'm entering the home stretch.  I want to be ready for my final kick!

No comments: