Sunday, May 5, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 90: Returning to St. George

I just learned that they’re bringing back Ironman St. George next year.  Wow!  It took me about a nanosecond to decide that I need to sign up to do it.  When someone asks me what my favorite Ironman has been, I don’t hesitate.  It’s Ironman St. George.  In 2010, it was my maiden ironman, done just 6 months after breaking my hip socket and shoulder.  In 2011, I persevered through heat and what I still consider to be the toughest course in ironman history to complete my second ironman.  In 2012, the elements conspired with the most difficult course to bring about the hardest single day of ironman competition ever.  If ironman is about testing one’s limits, then St. George has always fit the bill.  Fortunately, that’s not all of what St. George has been about.  It’s a beautiful course, in a gorgeous part of the country.  Desert and red rocks, starting the day in a reservoir with this as the backdrop, biking and running through some of the most beautiful geography in our country.  

The bike course is one of the most beautiful and also one of the most challenging courses on the ironman circuit.  Yet, it’s not overwhelming, except when there were 50 mph winds.  The run course is clearly the hardest there is, with not a flat section to be found.  But, also beautiful!  A few years ago, I achieved the goal of completing the run during the half ironman without taking any walking breaks.  I was slow, but I never walked.  The first three attempts at ironman St. George humbled me, especially when it came to the run, although, my 2012 marathon, albeit on an easier (and flatter) course due to construction, is still my PR for an ironman marathon.  I sense a challenge ahead.  

I also have the fact that when I started in 2012, there were about 80 of us who had done the prior two races.  By the end of that day, only 28 had finished all three.  I don’t know how many of those 28 will be at Ironman St. George in 2020, but I obviously have a pull to be there.  It’s an honor to know that I survived the first three and have the opportunity to carry on that legacy.  It’s also a challenge.  

I haven’t been sure of what my goals would be after competing in Kona this year.  I was wondering if that would be it for ironman.  But the moment that I saw that St. George was back on the schedule, I knew.  And, I’ll be in the 60-64 age group.  This is not a race that does any favors for older athletes.  But all that knowledge does is get my competitive juices going.  I have the opportunity to prepare for a race that is etched in my memory at least one more time.  Interestingly, they won’t be holding the race in St. George every year.  It will be every three years, which means it won’t be back until 2023, when I’ll be 64.  Not the best opportunity to compete in my age group, but we’ll take that when it comes.  In the meantime, it looks like I’ll be doing at least one ironman in 2020.  Who knows, maybe I can compete in my age group for a Kona slot?  Or, as I’m going to try to do in Boulder in five weeks, at least for a spot on the podium.


Ironman St. George beckons, and I respond.  Some things never change.

No comments: