Saturday, May 4, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 89: Being in Control

If there is one thing certain in life, it’s that there is no certainty.  Change will always happen,  We fool ourselves if we think that we control our lives.  It’s arguably my favorite ironman metaphor.  If there’s one thing that doing ironman’s will tell you is that you can always expect the unexpected.  Something will go wrong in the course of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run.  How could it not?  Which means, we aren’t in control.  We’re never truly in control.  My family knows that my biggest weakness is being surprised by something that I don’t expect.  In the past few years, I’ve developed a really bad habit of letting the unexpected get to me.  I get upset, riled up, and forget about being in the moment and expecting the unexpected.  I almost did that again recently, but caught myself in time.  There are always solutions, there are always different opportunities.  


No one can control us as well.  If they try, we can’t let it happen.  I actually allowed myself to get upset the other day because of a control freak.  It’s not worth it.  They’re not worth it.  I’m still not sure how I’m going to move forward with the situation that I was put in.   I could walk away, which I’ve done at times in the past.  Or, I can ignore it and not allow it to get to me.  One thing is for sure, I don’t need to make a rash decision.  Rash decisions are not conducive to control.  It reminds me of 2012 and the St. George Ironman swim.  With the waves reaching 5 feet, and no other athletes or support in sight, I was briefly worried that I might die.  There was no time for a rash decision, just calmness and staying in the moment.  I put one arm in front of the other and made my way to the finish of the swim.  Which brings me to my next topic, St. George.  I may have once made a promise not to do the St. George Ironman again.  This was an easy decision, because they’d cancelled it.  But, it’s back!

No comments: