Friday, May 31, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 113: Habits

I often say that I’m a “creature of habit.” There are advantage and disadvantages to this.  As we return home from being away a week from our house that is presently under construction, I’m reminded of how “off” I’ve been not having a kitchen in our house.  It’s also been hard not having our boxes emptied and things put away in their rightful places.  This is ironic, insofar as I’ve never been the neatest or most organized person.  However, I do appreciate organization.  My brain actually works that way, although I don’t always carry out some type of regular organized structure.

Traveling has been good in some ways, which is also ironic, but just goes to show how being in a home under construction can feel distracting.  Staying in different hotel rooms isn’t the best way of feeling organized, but this is helped by how I’ve got my bag organized.  Once we got to the hotel we were staying at for a few days, it became easier to “set up” the room.  

I often joke that I can eat the same thing as every meal, this is truly part of my being a “creature of habit.”  I like continuity and consistency.  From an Ironman perspective, transitions are a great example of my appreciation of habit.  I look at the transition process as one that has a large amount of consistency.  I visualize the process so that it is essentially second nature.  


I find that when I’m not in a “habitual” mode, that I’m uncomfortable.  It also tends to stymie my overall productivity.  Being “in the moment” goes a long way towards alleviating this, both in life and during a race!

No comments: