Friday, May 24, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 109: Getting Serious

I've always been too serious.  Since I was a young boy and wrote a letter to President Johnson to stop the war in Vietnam, to my desire to make nursing home better places for older adults, I take everything seriously.  Being too serious doesn't actually change anything, and it's not altogether healthy.  So, it's time that I take things less seriously.  Unless, of course, it's my upcoming ironman race!  Just kidding, sort of.  If I'm going to take anything seriously, it's going to be my training and racing.  On the other hand, just like life, taking ironman too seriously will only lead to trouble.  The idea is to enjoy the experience and to be in the moment.  The same goes with life.

I was on a conference call today about improving the nursing home survey process.  It's something that I feel strongly about.  I've always felt bad for the people on the front lines who have to put up with a demoralizing and often dehumanizing process.  I understand the goals, but the means don't always justify the ends, especially when the means don't actually achieve the goals!  Yet, do I need to take this too seriously?  The answer is no.  I need to engage with it, as it's something important to me.  However, I don't need to let it raise my cortisol and adrenaline levels.

Being serious, having serious goals, and taking things too seriously are different.  59 years of being serious and taking things too seriously adds up.  It's time to be a little less serious.  It's time to have some fun and enjoy the day.  It's time to be in the moment.

No comments: