Saturday, May 25, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 110: Friends

I spent the day with my good friend Rudy.  It's always good to see old friends, especially one who is essentially a brother. From the moment I met Rudy nearly a decade ago, it was obvious that we have a lot in common.  Most important, he wanted to see my new bike!  Not really, but it is part of it.  He definitely shares my passion for triathlon.  Several years ago, when I was going through a really rough time at work, I was able to share what I was going through with him. It really helped.

Rudy has been a huge supporter of me in my ironman's, and will be out cheering me on at Boulder in two weeks.  It means so much to know that someone is there and rooting for you.  The adrenaline boost is usually worth some finite period of time.  A few years ago, Rudy joined me for my 20th 20 mile run, and literally severely dehydrated himself in the process.  He's had some struggles with his hip, but has recently been getting back into running shape.  I'm always excited to see this happen, because Rudy is so much faster than me.  One of these days, I'm going to be able to return the favor of supporting him at an ironman event.  I look forward to that day.

In our lives, we make friends, we meet people.  There are some people that you can see after weeks or months where you leave off as if no time has passed.  Rudy is one of those people for me.

No comments: