Thursday, May 23, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 108: Enjoying the Road

Today was a great day.  My wife and I drove from St. George to Grand Junction.  There's nothing like the natural beauty of this drive, and there's nothing like sharing with the person who matters the most in the world to you.  We've always loved this drive, and today was no exception.  My wife was taking photos much of the way, and they're awesome!  The meditative aspect of this drive also lend itself to talking about any number of topics, but doing it in a relaxed way.  The clouds were amazing, and we ultimately hit a very serious rainstorm about an hour from Grand Junction.  Fortunately, it only lasted about 20 minutes.

During the final portion of the drive, I began looking forward to getting on the treadmill.  This was also a good sign. Three days of traveling, with no working out, put me in the position of not knowing where I was at in terms of training mentality.  I was thinking about training the day before, but by the time we got to the hotel, I was exhausted.  Getting on the treadmill felt fantastic.  While I only ran for four miles, I could have ran longer.  That's always a good thing, especially at this point in my race preparation.  Took some extra carbs tonight, as I'm not at altitude.

The drive was also a reminder of the importance of just relaxing and "enjoying the ride." Also, good preparation for some upcoming long bike rides.  The road calls.

No comments: