Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 100: Making Good Decisions

Yesterday I woke up at 7am, EDT, was in meetings throughout the day that I really enjoyed, then flew home. Ultimately, I went to bed at 11 pm PDT.  A 19 hour day.  I had a lot of fun, enjoyed my day, but even fun has physiologic stress.  When I woke up this morning at 9am, it was pretty obvious that my body wanted rest.  After taking my grandson to breakfast, I actually took a nap!  Yep!  Rest is the order of the day.  I've been planning to ramp up my training volume this week, but as I've written, it's time to make smart decisions.  The fact that I just felt like sleeping today was definitely a message that my body was sending me.  I listened to it.

Racing an ironman is all about making good decisions.  There are so many things that happen on race day.  I can look back at many experiences during my 13 previous ironman's where I made decisions that would have an impact on my day.  The same goes for training.  If there's one thing I learned from my recent injury, a day or two off won't hurt, and most likely will be of value.

Sleep is certainly the single most important training exercise that I can focus on over the next 3 1/2 weeks.  In fact, during my trip back east, I managed to get a reasonable amount of sleep.  Nevertheless, as my wife reminds me, traveling is fatiguing in and of itself.  The last thing that I want to happen in the coming weeks is to get sick, and sleep is the most important protection against that.

I talk to my coach tomorrow.  Tomorrow is also my anniversary, so it's unlikely that I'll do too much training tomorrow.  It's looking like my push for training volume will be happening this weekend.

No comments: