Sunday, April 28, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 79: Priorities

I’ve always been someone who likes to keep my brain busy.  As a kid, I set up a few television sets to watch different sporting events at the same time.  I often did my homework while watching t.v..  I suppose I was a multitasker before the word was actually invented.  As I’ve gotten older, my tendency is still to have my brain engaged in more than one area at a time.  I have to admit, however, that it’s actually gotten more difficult for me to do this.  It also detracts from my ability to maintain a focus on any one thing.  It also has led to greater anxiety when it comes to determining my priorities.  

In my 14 months as CEO of a company that had me overseeing a near one billion dollar operation, my priorities were pretty clear.  Initially, I took over an organization where morale was horrible, communications were lacking, and our reputation to the outside world was less than stellar.  My priority was to improve all of these things.  I often like to joke that I’ve never taken a business course during my lifetime, but that I’ve learned business through “on the job” training.  My task as a leader might have seemed daunting, but to me was just another challenge to face.  I’ve not taken much time to write about this part of my experience since I resigned from my position nearly 6 months ago, and will put a placeholder on that right now.

Since I left my job, I’ve spent a fair amount of time in reflection.  I’ve also spent more than enough time in self doubt.  It’s always easy to question one’s past decisions and actions, although that rarely leads to anything construction.  Reflecting on the past, however, can be helpful in understanding one’s future.  Too much focus on the past, though takes away from the present.  And so I struggle with how to prioritize.  Too many things, and none of them will get the proper amount of attention.  


In one respect, I’m fortunate.  I have one priority that is crystal clear.  I’m going to compete in the Ironman World Championship in Kona in October.  This is something that I’ve thought about for over thirty years.  It’s something I even started to question as I got closer to qualifying through the Legacy program.  Why is this important to me?  What does it take away from?  What value does it bring? Why Kona? I’ll answer that in my next blog.  In the meantime, I need to identify my other priorities and find a way to simplify rather than to complicate my life.  I don’t need three television sets to be on at the same time.  I don’t need to “focus” on multiple things at once.  I need to pick my priorities.

No comments: