Friday, April 19, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 74: Importance of a Good Bike Fit

I got a new bike!  My present triathlon bike is now 7 years old, it's still a solid try-bike, but with changing technology....ok, it was time to get a new bike!  I had heard about the new Cervelo P3x and it just seemed pretty cool.  Since about the only thing I splurge on is bikes, it just felt right.  My bike came in last week, and today I got fit on it.  It's always fun to see what goes into the process of getting properly fit on a bike.  In this case, I'm trusting my bike fitter, Brian.  He knows what he's doing, and my new bike has infinite adjustability.  The cool part was having him make an adjustment, and voila!, I just seemed to comfortably settle into the aero bars.  At the end of the day, ironman bike fitting is about comfort.  The less stress and strain on the arms, neck, shoulders, the better.

My first real serious bike fit was probably about 13 years ago, and I even got checked out in a wind tunnel at the time.  I've tweaked that position with each new bike over the years, and even had adjustments made on my last bike a couple of times.  I'm sure that my basic position has been pretty constant, but, as Brian noted, sometimes a small change can have a significant impact.  Whether we've nailed the aerodynamics is hard to know without being in the wind tunnel, but my position looked pretty good today. Moreover, I felt comfortable, and I did the fit at the tail end of my rib injury.  The good news was that my rib felt fine, which it actually has been over the past few days as I've ridden my old triathlon bike.  Fortunately, it feels even better in the aero position.  That probably reflects the importance of feeling comfortable and not having too much pressure on the upper body while laying forward in the aero position.  Over the course of 12 hours, one wants to conserve all the energy that they can!


No comments: