Monday, April 22, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 77: Run Streak Revisited

My run streak ended abruptly five weeks ago with a right sided rib injury, and after just two days of running three weeks ago, before I even had a chance to contemplate starting another streak, I fell and injured my left ribcage.  I've spent the last six days on my bike every day, and my cycling legs seem to be coming back into form.  So, today, I ventured out for a short run.  I just ran for about 2 miles, running easily and comfortably.  I then threw in another 5 miles of walking (I had phone calls to make, better to make use of the time than to be sitting down).  I realized as I finished my last walk that it was time to start another running streak.  In fact, with seven weeks to go before Ironman Boulder, a 49 day running streak sounds about right!  I'd put myself in the mentality that a daily run was a matter of course for me, and I want to be in that place for both Boulder and Kona.

I'm about to embark upon a journey.  It's a journey I've been on to some degree.  My preparation for Ironman Boulder has been less than stellar, but some of the pieces are there.  I got my running legs back at the end of last year, culminating in a 100 mile run/walk.  I had gotten my cycling legs close to where they needed to be a few weeks ago.  My swim still has a lot of work to do, but I'm thinking that  I can get up to speed in the next seven weeks.  I went into Ironman Santa Rosa with little training and a cold to boot.  I should be able to go into Ironman Boulder with a significant amount of training.  I just need to make sure that I don't overdo it.

So, my run streak starts again today.  This week will be a big cycling week, as I'll be traveling most of next week, making next week a significant run focus.  That will bring me to the last five weeks before Boulder, and I'll leave it to my coach to develop an ingenious plan to have me prepared for Boulder!

No comments: