Thursday, April 11, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 66: Patience

My rib pain persisted today.  I generally tolerate pain quite well.  In fact, I'd like to think that I'm willing to embrace pain.  However, the pain that I presently have is unique.  It's location is such that it  is like virtual kryptonite to me.  The wrong move, and the pain is pretty bad, and impacts my breathing.  The other aspect of the pain is that it just seems to wear me down as the day goes on.  I'm reminded of my shoulder and hip fracture nine and a half years ago, and recall the fatigue that chronic pain can bring.  There is also a mental frustration brought on by the fact that I'm chomping at the bit to reengage in my training.

I must maintain patience.  In fact, I probably need to turn things around right now and look at this as an enforced "taper" in the middle of my training.  If my reduced training lasts a few weeks, perhaps I'll be able to quickly ramp up my training and go full bore up until Boulder.  No matter what, Boulder will be training for Kona anyway.  I must maintain patience.

I did manage to walk three miles today.  My legs feel fine, part of my walk was uphill, and that also felt fine.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that my walking did no favors to my rib pain, but I'll live with the balance today.  At least I was good about not lifting anything, and spent as much time as possible sitting or laying down today.  And so I must continue to practice patience.  One day at a time, my situation will be what it will be, and I will respond accordingly.

No comments: