Friday, April 5, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 60: Rib Pain Sucks

I write this from my hotel bed, where I'm laying down after sneezing and barely being able to breath.  In fact, I don't think I could breath for about 20 seconds.  Fortunately, I was finally able to breath before I would have passed out.  Rib pain sucks.  I'm hoping that this pain will only last a couple of more days and that I will recover like I always do. I'm supposed to focus on cycling this coming week, and I know that I could't cycle today.  In fact, it would be quite dangerous to try under these circumstances.

This is the perseverance that I often speak about when I talk about training for an ironman.  It can be frustrating, but it's necessary.  The body sends us messages, and ultimately, we need to accede to these messages.

The last week was non-stop.  In fact, the last few months have been non-stop.  In the past, I've taken an injury like this as a message to slow down.  Maybe I need to listen to that very message right now.
Rib pain may suck,  but maybe it's a sign.

No comments: