Saturday, April 6, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 61: When the Universe is Telling You Something

Nine and a half years ago I was in the midst of my typical, all consuming work lifestyle.  Working long hours, running a large business. Preparing to do my first ironman at the age of 50.  And then it happened.  During the Long Course World Championship in Perth Australia, I crashed at the beginning of the bike.  I've written about this before, my broken clavicle and hip socket and my first DNF (after biking 48 miles and walking 3.5 miles).  What I haven't thought about in a while is the impression at the time that the universe was sending me a message.  The message was to slow down! We spent 3 weeks in Australia and New Zealand, and I wasn't able to carry any bags, or walk very far.  In fact, I was reduced to a shuffle, and often had to stop and sit down to rest.  At the time, I learned that there was a world around me that was much easier to appreciate in slow motion.  I postulated that the universe was sending me a message, a message to slow down.

Here I am, with two rib injuries in the past 3 weeks.  Is the universe telling me something?  Two good friends told me today that I needed to slow down and focus on just one thing (from a work perspective).  I knew that they were right.  I've been looking for things to do, and in doing so, have had a variety of opportunities.  All, while moving into a new house and ramping up my ironman training.  The universe may be telling me something again.  Time to slow down.

I'm going to pay attention to the message.  I had hoped to ramp up my cycling training this coming week, and I still may be able to.  First, I'll need to be able to breath without any pain.  Once I can do that, it's time to start racking up the cycling miles.  I have my priorities and ironman training is at the top of my list.  While I have a variety of work opportunities, I need to chill a bit and not jump into them.  I don't have to do everything that comes my way!  I've written about focus and I've written about enjoying the journey.  I need to maintain those approaches before the universe sends me another message!

No comments: