Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 65: Joy

Watching my 3 1/2 year old grandson is an exercise watching unbridled joy.  He is the epitome of independence and he clearly feels great joy in everything he does.  We get older and we have expectations. We worry about consequences. We think.  And the joy disappears. I continue to feel like  my grandson is around to remind me of the important things in life.  The most important of these is being able and willing to experience joy.  It is a little ironic that I was in a state of joy when I tripped and fell and injured my rib.  I should remind myself that while I enjoy running on the trails, there are other ways of experiencing joy.  They don't all have to come from exercise.  Watching my grandson is one way in and of itself.

As I experience the twelve to fourteen hours of an ironman, I've learned that discomfort will come and go, as well doubts and fatigue.  When this happens, the one thing that works is to look around and appreciate my surroundings.  I will also remind myself of why I do ironman's and of how much I enjoy the journey itself.  I often find myself smiling as I do this, which provides positive reinforcement in and of itself.

The last week and a half has been a struggle for me. Bending over to pick something up hurts.  Getting out of bed is painful, with the soreness in my chest feeling like a lead weight as I stand up.  It's hard to feel joy in these moments, especially as the pain is a constant reminder that I'm not able to train as long as I'm in pain.  But then I see my grandson, and I am reminded that there are lots of things around me to bring me joy.  And that's what matters.

No comments: