Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 64: Reserve

I've realized in the past few months that my reserve is not only limited, but it's probably completely lacking.  I need to build it up again.  I'm talking primarily about my emotional reserve, which was emptied by an incredibly challenging job, in addition to a number of life circumstances.  Today, I lost it over the timing of some construction related work that is happening at our new house.  The timing of the work has been problematic, and I had set an expectation in my head (there I go again), of having more work done by the time moved in.  When the plumber put his knee through the ceiling yesterday, it added more drywall work to the schedule.  Drywall work is messy (what do I know about construction?).  It seems that my wife is constantly vacuuming and cleaning, because I'm relatively useless due to my injured rib. I hate that she's doing all of this, and I hate that I can't help.  I really do need to rest my rib, so that I can get restarted on my training, lest I lose my physical reserve, which I've probably lost some of by now.

I've written a lot about how emotions and our physical being intertwine.  I'm sure it's fully engaged at the moment.  Pain with deep breaths are a constant reminder of my rib injury.  Dust and boxes are a constant reminder of the work needed to be done on our house.  Yet again, my life has become an ironman, but I forgot that today and lost my cool.  What have I said about this in the past?  I need to meditate.

Meditation is the key to building and retaining ones emotional reserve.  Staying in the moment and not allowing the bumps we face every day are the key to not using up this reserve. It's amazing how often I come back to ironman as a metaphor for life.

No comments: