Thursday, April 4, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 59: Focus

I've been procrastinating on a book project. That's not hard to do, as it is a pretty big project.  Also, in the course of moving, I let a number of things on my "to do" list pile up.  So, this morning, in the hotel lobby, I got caught up on my major "to do's" in just a couple of hours. It's amazing how much a singular focus and taking things in bite sized increments can help with accomplishing tasks.  That's what I'm going to have to do with my book project.  Just like ironman, it's about putting one foot in front of the other and moving forward.

Stress can be insidious in its' impact on ones ability to complete a task.  The anxiety bubbles up and before you know it, time has passed and you've got nothing done.  The first time that this really hit me full force was during my second year of college.  I was taking a physics test (multiple choice, of all things), and I really hadn't been studying (too much time focused on intramural floor hockey). One moment I was taking the test, the next moment, time was nearly up, and I'd hardly been through the questions!  It was probably the first panic attack I'd ever had, and really didn't have any other ones until years later during a triathlon swim.

Staying focused is the key.  Approaching a problem or task one step at a time is the next.  I have to say, my "relatively short" streak of daily running, interrupted by my rib injuries, has helped with this concept, but more so is my daily blog.  Today is 59 days, it's hard to believe that my dad has been doing this for decades!  Nevertheless, I'm getting into a daily rhythm of consistency and purpose around this one task.  It's also providing a great means for off loading things from my mind.  All while maintaining a degree of focus.

In my constant refrain that ironman is a metaphor for life, the idea of focus and incremental progress towards a goal is one of the ultimate comparisons.  Staying in the moment, and not allowing the external stressors and stresses to invade ones mind are essential to appreciating our lives and the journey that we're all on.  There is no right or wrong, there is no good or bad, there is just an appreciation for what is.  Stay focused.


No comments: