Saturday, April 4, 2020

Shabbat

I'm not sure that I've ever completely observed the Sabbath.  Last night, I turned off my phone and computer at sundown and didn't turn them on again until sundown today.  I've been frenetic for the past month, and powering down was both valuable and important.  It allowed me to be "normal" again.  I'd forgotten what that was like.  I even read an entire book, "Old Man's Country," by one of my medical school mentors, Thomas Cole.  The timing was perfect, as the book touched me.

I've been singularly focused for the past month, and for good reason.  I've been trying to save lives.  I believe that some of the things that I've done have made a difference, yet at the same time, there's more that I would have liked to accomplish.  If only our government officials would listen.  I guess that's always the problem.

It was nice to just spend the day with my family, have some quiet reading time and go for a walk without my cell phone.  I've been walking a lot lately, but talking on the phone pretty much the entire time.  It was nice to just walk today.  That was part of the experience.  Is this something that I should do every Shabbat?  Probably.  For someone like me, it's important to take care of myself.  It's not something that I typically gravitate to.  Let's see what the next week brings.

No comments: