Sunday, November 10, 2019

The Zen of Running

Today, I ran. For just a little over 2 hours, I ran.  Most of the time, I just ran at a comfortable pace, but did push my effort a bit during the second half of my run.  I don't have to run for two hours any more.  But, I like to run.  There's actually something quite meditative about running.  It's also hands down the best total body exercise that one can do.  Today was four weeks from the Ironman World Championship.  I've actually been looking forward to running for more than 45-50 minutes for the last couple of weeks, but I've held off, knowing that my body wasn't ready.  I almost ran yesterday, but I was tired, so I ended up doing 90 minutes of hot yoga.  That probably left me a little dehydrated this morning, and I decided to run without any fluids or nutrition.  There is a stop halfway on my run where there's a drinking fountain.  It also wasn't too hot out today.  Nevertheless, when I got home from my run, I had lost four pounds.  That's ok, but it did leave me a little tired and washed out, which ultimately led to me taking a nap.  That's ok too.  I ran for 12 miles today, uphill and downhill, for a little over 2 hours.  It was great!

When I was a teenager, I tried to run.  I couldn't last more than half a mile.  In fact, when I turned thirty, I'd never run a mile straight in my life.  After building up on a stair master, I started running on a treadmill.  For awhile, I ran with headphones and listened to music.  Then, one day, I was running along a path in a nature reserve and I took off my headphones.  I've never used them since.  A month before Kona I ran for over 3 and a half hours.  I loved it!  In the last few years, I've gotten in the habit of meditating during my long runs.  Other times, I just enjoy the run itself.  There is definitely a Zen to running.  The nice thing is that, despite having no Ironman plans in my future, nor any plans to run a marathon, I can run because I want to, when I want to.

The coming year will be interesting, when it comes to running.  I certainly want to work on my 5K speed, especially because I'm goal oriented and I'm 60.  But, just going out and running for an hour, or two, or three, will always be something that I can and will do.  That's the Zen of running.

No comments: