Saturday, November 16, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 284: Epilogue

It's been 5 weeks since I finished the Ironman World Championship in Kona.  While in some ways it's  already becoming a distant memory, it's still vividly with me like it was yesterday.  It is definitely a day I will never forget.  I'll always remember seeing the boat at the swim turnaround.  The realization that I didn't have any energy that day, while fleeting because I utilized the meditation tool of noting to great advantage, will be with me forever.  The thought of almost accepting a huge block of ice after the bike turnaround in Hawi still brings a smile to my face.  The fact that the one thing that mattered to me immediately as I finished was to congratulate the 75 year old who finished in front of me.  Those are some of the memories that will stay with me forever.

The last five weeks have been their own struggle, as the days following an Ironman often are.  Because I did this race with a full blown sinus infection, I crashed (metaphorically) a lot sooner after the race.  I'd already been battling physiological and hormonal ups and downs for several weeks, as I had pushed my body to a place it hadn't been to before.  Those ups and downs have continued, although generally for good and acceptable reasons.  I was literally at the brink of exhaustion yesterday, but that came on the heels of a 21 hour day, followed by the joyful, yet demanding, task of caring for a 4 year old.  So, today I rest.

I'm racing again in 3 weeks and looking forward to it.  It's just a half ironman.  I'm pretty sure that's a distance that I still like.  It doesn't involve 6 hour training rides or 90 minute swims to prepare.  In fact, for me, it doesn't really involve any specific training approach.  I've been doing Ironman racing for a full decade, and my body is used to certain things.  I know that I like just putting on my running shoes and going outside for a long run.  Time isn't important, and running has easily become my simplest form of meditation.  I enjoy cycling, and I'll always love the feel of the water.  Still, there are other priorities in my life.  I've checked off one box, and there are other boxes that need tending to.

This past week was very interesting.  I've had a number of business opportunities arise, and some tasks arise that are related to some unfinished business.  It's been a year since I quit my last job.  I am feeling purposeful, and focused on that feeling.  I'm accepting where I am in my life.  I can be in the moment.  There are no regrets, nor is there a need to worry about the future.  My life is now my Ironman.

No comments: