Friday, November 15, 2019

Being Above the Law

I have encountered people who are so wealthy that they think that can buy anything and anyone.  I've seen this attitude lead to essentially feeling that they're above the law.  They can hire enough lawyers to obfuscate and prolong any battle.  There's no question in my mind that trump is one of these people.  I don't really know what he thinks or what goes on in his head.  He may truly believe that he's right about everything.  That he knows the answers to everything.  That's he's a genius.  That he's perfect.  But I do know one thing.  No one is perfect.  No one knows the answers to everything.  Watching trump and many of the republicans avoid the facts, and watching democrats cherry pick the facts that matter to them, reminds me that many of these politicians think they're doing what's right.  They know best.

In some ways, seeing some of these career public servants come forward reminds me that there are people out there who don't believe that they're above the law.  They do believe in being truthful.  I've never lacked in confidence or ego.  But I've always known that I don't know everything.  As I gotten older and gained more experience, I've tried to remain humble and willing to listen to others.

Money and power can influence people to believe that they can get away with anything.  There are natural human emotional responses to being around celebrities, wealthy people and powerful people. It's one of the reasons that many people won't speak truth to power or money.  I've always found it interesting that people without money think that they can become wealthy, even though the odds are miniscule.  Yet, they don't want to increase taxes on the wealthy because they think it might be them some day.  There are so many things that don't make a lot of sense about human beings and their reactions.  But, this natural behavior supports those that believe that they're above the law.  There are reasons that they think that they can get away with anything.

I don't envy those who are wealthy or powerful.  In some ways, I feel sorry for them.  I don't want to define myself or my life by wealth or power.  I sleep well at night knowing that I've been the best person that I can be.  I hope that I never feel like I'm above the law.

No comments: