Friday, November 22, 2019

Being Focused Versus Being Distracted

Over the last few weeks I've had a number of opportunities bubble up.  While on one hand this is both good and exciting, on the other hand its been anxiety provoking.  I realized today that a little more than a year ago, though I was more stressed than I've ever been, I felt a singular sense of purpose.  While my workaholic tendencies were at an all time high, I knew what I was doing and why I was doing it.  Once I started getting over the worst emotional scars from that period of time, I became  focused on training for Kona.  That also felt right, although I knew that wasn't what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing.  It was fine for nine months.  So, here I am now, still recovering from the impact that racing Kona with a sinus infection had on me.

It doesn't help that I alternate being tired with feeling ok every other day.  The last few days, I've spent some time in my new part-time job.  It feels right.  It feels good.  It feels fun.  Check.  So, why am I so anxious?  Perhaps because some of the other opportunities that are in front of me are overwhelming.  I've always had a tendency to take on everything that comes my way, and then some. I don't know if I'm just getting too old to handle too many things, or whether I really just want to focus on a few things that matter.  I do know that I've always struggled with letting go of things that I've committed to.  It's really hard for me to say no, or to back away from things.  In some ways, it's the Ironman in me.  At this point, however, it's not very healthy.

I don't want to be distracted by having too many things to work on.  I need to be focused.  I need to prioritize.  It's a good thing that I've got the weekend ahead of me.  It will be a good time to consider the various options that I have in front of me.  Being focused clearly matters far more than being distracted.

No comments: