Sunday, November 24, 2019

The Squeeze is More Important Than the Juice

Outcomes and results are fleeting experiences.  Yet, we often judge ourselves on those fleeting moments.  If there's one thing that I've learned from Ironman, it's that the journey is what matters the most.  The squeeze is truly far more important than the juice.  In school we aim for high scores on tests, rather than on what it takes to achieve those scores, which is the process of studying.  In a race, we focus on the result, the time, which only can be achieved if we've trained properly and effectively.  In trying to make a difference in the world, we might look at a particular outcome, when in fact, that outcome can only occur if we put in the necessary effort and work to make it possible.  If we allow ourselves to only feel good based on an outcome, we're missing so much.

Outcomes occur at a singular moment in time.  Crossing the finish line of a 5K, or an Ironman, occurs in a split second.  The 5K itself might take 24 minutes, the Ironman 13 hours.  I've learned to appreciate every moment of these races, rather than wait for a single moment at the end.  But more so, is the time that goes into preparing for a race.  That's the time, and the moments, to appreciate.  Life is no different.  A year and a couple of weeks ago, I woke up to the realization that I wanted to have fun when it came to life and work.  Focusing on outcomes is aligned with being serious all of the time.  Focusing on the journey is aligned with feeling joy in the moment.  I see this all the time with my grandson.  He definitely is here to teach me some important things about life!

With all this said, there is something to be said about having goals. I've written time and again that I'm a goal oriented person.  I'm not sure what I'd do in life without goals. Ironically, I'm also proud of the fact that achieving a particular goal doesn't really matter, that it's really about the journey.  Maybe the issue is when actually achieving a goal unknowingly becomes the priority. Or maybe it's not any of this.  Having goals, enjoying the journey, attempting to achieve something and not being tied to the actual outcome. This combination has tended to define me and my approach to life.  Maybe the issue is deeper and more specific.  What if the issue has to do with what you experience during the journey, and when that experience is unhealthy.  Sounds like a good topic for tomorrow.

No comments: