Sunday, November 17, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 285: Recovery, Again and Again

My journey to Kona hasn't been completed.  I'm still recovering.  It's been a long process, and still is touch and go.  A two day business trip, concluding with a 21 hour day, knocked me back a few steps. I was going to bike and run this weekend, but instead I've been resting.  Though, not completely.  I am continuing to work on my strength.  Yesterday I managed to do a 30 minute strength set with pushups, air squats, lunges and planks.  Today, I woke up still feeling a little fatigued.  I knew that going out for a bike ride or run would not add to my fitness or race preparation.  In fact, it might knock me back a little.  Still, I want to keep working on my strength.  So, every hour today, I've been doing 30 leg lifts and 20 pushups.  I'm already at 180 leg lifts and 120 push ups for the day.  We'll see where I end up.  Most likely, I'll be ready to bike and run tomorrow.

My goal at this time is to stay fit and get stronger.  Racing is a fun bonus.  While I'm looking forward to doing a half ironman in three weeks, that's not at all the point of my training.  The point is the training itself, and the focus is on staying fit.  The way I've felt for the last couple of days tells me that I've really achieved all that I wanted from this past year.  Focusing on recovery is what training is all about as we get older.  I constantly battle with my desire to do an extra workout, especially with some intensity.  Now I need to battle with my acknowledgment of the need to rest and recover.  Of course, while doing some extra pushups and leg lifts.

Trying to balance recovery with training and life is an ongoing challenge.  But it's definitely part of the life metaphor that I regularly write about.  It's important that we take care of ourselves.  We should all focus on our own recovery, again and again.

No comments: