Saturday, November 23, 2019

The "Empty Carbs" of Consulting

For the last year I've been looking at doing consulting.  Ironically, as a business person I always avoided consultants.  I often talk about wanting to make a difference.  How often do consultants make a difference?  They make recommendations, but don't have any authority.  It's just like taking in "empty carbs."  So, why do I want to do consulting?  Or, do I?  I'm not so sure, especially as I find things to do that have meaning to me.  I've always been a very serious person, ever since I was a child.  I still am, although having a grandson has helped me less serious.

It's difficult enough to make a difference when you're in charge, or when you have any kind of authority.  It's really hard to make a difference when you have no authority.  I've often said that I learned the value of true leadership when I was working for a quality improvement organization, because we were in essence, consultants.  In some ways, that's the reality of being in a position without authority.  You do have to learn how to be an effective leader if you're going to get anything done or get people to respond to your direction.  Of course, if you're a good consultant, sometimes people will follow your advice.

I suppose that my question really is about my balance.  One of the things I've learned over the years is that one is never fully in control, even if you own or run a business.  But nothing in life is 100%.  Still, I struggle with the consulting side of things.  First, I've never been a salesperson.  I don't really like to sell  myself.  Second, I'm a conceptual thinker.  While I appreciate detail, I don't really like focusing on them.  Third, I really want to focus on having fun.  I'm tired of fighting.  What can I focus on that will involve the least amount of fighting.  That may be a topic for a future blog.

So, maybe consulting isn't fully about "empty carbs." Nothing is perfect in life or in the world.  Consulting isn't the perfect job. But no job is perfect.  I've certainly learned that to be the case.  What matters is purpose.  Empty carbs don't provide purpose.  Maybe that's why this is important to me. Maybe that's why I'm obsessing over this question.  It comes back down to purpose and having fun.  There's nothing empty in that.


No comments: