Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Fear

The thing about COVID-19 is that it is scary.  Allergies that cause a little nasal drip or scratchy throat, feeling warm because the temperature is in the house is up, these mundane feelings take on a greater level of gravity in the world of COVID-19.  The human mind is challenged by these types of feelings.  We inherently want to live, that's human nature.  We certainly don't want to die due to unnatural reasons.  COVID-19 lurks in the background, making one question there every move.  Could I have come in contact with the virus? The questions lurk.  Fear is a strong emotion.

When the  COVID-19 pandemic broke out, I'd been meditating daily for two months.  I kept that going for another three before breaking my habit, and now it's time to get back to daily meditation.  It's arguably the number one antidote to fear.  We all fight uncertainty.  It can grab ahold of our mind and take over.  You think about opportunities where you might have been exposed to the virus, and replay them in your mind.  Fear.  All one can do is rest and recognize that you can't control every circumstance.  Yet this lethal virus lurks, and creates more fear.

I ran yesterday.  It was a good run, with the exception of taking a misstep off the curb which caused me to land awkwardly on one foot.  I think this tweaked my back a bit, but we'll know more later today.  I my have dodged a bullet.  Running is the one thing that has been taking the place of meditation, although I believe that I need to do both.  Fortunately, there's been less smoke in the air, although I do believe that the weed pollens are out in force. Fear. We can't let it take over. 

No comments: