Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Setting Records

My daily runs follow a pattern. I set out with the goal of just having a comfortable run.  Shortly into my run I assess how I feel.  If I'm feeling good, I start thinking about pushing harder during certain parts of my run where I can compare my time over a segment.  Can I set a record today?  The good thing about my 8 mile course is that I have many segments with which to set records.  At the same time, I'm endeavoring not to push too hard on any given day.  That's the key.  Pushing too hard saps me of needed energy.  Energy that I need to accomplish the other things that are always piling up in my life.  Yet, the records beckon.  It's interesting that I rarely actually set a record anymore.  I've run hard on my eight mile course enough times now that breaking a record for a segment is increasingly difficult, though not impossible.

I've been really patient over the past week or so, insofar as I've not pushed too hard during my runs, except when I do.  While I may not push hard enough to set a record on a segment of my course, I have "mini-goals" in my head as I run.  Can I finish the course in under 80 minutes? 79 minutes? 77 minutes? Can I run Mile 7 faster than normal?  I guess that's what keeps us going.  It's what keeps us motivated.  I set out yesterday to just run comfortably, but somehow decided to push hard during the 7th mile.  Did it tire me out a little more than I had planned? Perhaps?  Was it worth it? Definitely.

I guess that's what it's all about.  Motivation.  On the other hand, I have other things motivating me on a daily basis.  That's actually part of my problem.  Once again, the other things have quickly piled up and are putting pressure on me.  My run gives me a place to let off steam, to be motivated and get things done where I may not get the same feeling in the rest of my day.  During the first two months of COVID-19 I was getting a lot of things done but wasn't running, wasn't working out.  I was setting other records.  But I needed some balance.  Balance.  Setting records. 

No comments: