Monday, September 7, 2020

Taking Care of the Mind, and Body

I slept 12 hours last night.  Really.  That was enough to answer the question of what I was supposed to do today. Rest. First, rest my body. That's easier for me to do.  No running. No walking (there's poor air quality anyway today). I might do some pushups as I've begun to wonder whether my lack of core training over the past six months has contributed to my recent back issues.  I am getting a massage today. I can take care of my body.  Seven straight days of 8 mile runs, in the heat, have certainly added positive stress to my physiology.  What about my mind?

As I caught up on emails this morning, I felt anxiety.  Why? Simple, there's so much to do and that's been my problem.  I've been pretty good the past two days insofar as staying away from too much mental stress and activity.  I've been enjoying golf and the Tour de France.  I've done some reading.  I think that my mind, and body, are telling me that's a good idea, and I need to continue to do it.  Fortunately, I still have most of the day ahead of me if I pay attention to taking care of myself.  I am getting a massage, and I certainly have time to meditate (I think I wrote about that the other day, but didn't avail myself of the modality).

We live in a world where information abounds.  Too much for that matter.  It puts a strain on the brain.  There should be only so much that we need to know.  Getting into those habits are the key.  It should be about taking care of the mind and the body.

No comments: