Sunday, September 6, 2020

Another Week of Running

I've struggled the last three weeks with putting together seven straight days of running.  I've had back spasms, fatigue, more fatigue.  For the past week, I've managed to run my 8 miles every day.  Today will be my seventh straight day.  I woke up a little tired.  But, the seventh straight day beckons.  The air quality is once again moderate, albeit, just on the border of good and moderate, so I have a choice in terms of wearing a mask.  It's going to be another hot day, but, if I get out on the road soon, at least I can run in 80 degree temperatures and avoid seeing 90 by the time I finish.  Writing about today's run only serves to encourage me to get out the door. If I complete today's run, it will actually be my 5th week of running 8 miles seven days in a row in the past 8 weeks.  On the other hand, in those 56 days (including today), I will have run 44 days.  That's 352 miles.  That's 44 miles a week.  That's Jerry West's old number.  I've got to love it!  

It's kind of funny.  There are people who put a lot of stock in numbers.  Our family loves numbers like 11 and we love time's on the clock like "11:11."  44 is symmetrical. It also adds up to eight!  So, there we are.  I don't really know what any of this means, but it's fun to play with it.  That's the approach I need to take today. Playful.  Yesterday, I ran comfortably, but it still took a lot out of me due to the oppressive heat.  Today will be warm again, and even warmer if I don't finish this blog and get outside to run!

Habits are good, but they need to be healthy.  I promised myself last week to start meditating again, and I haven't done so.  Maybe focusing on one to two habits at a time is all that the human mind and body can tolerate.  This week has been focused on getting in my runs again.  I'm feeling a little tired, but I'm going to make it happen.  No stress, no strain, just putting one foot in front of the other for eight miles.  Another week of running.

No comments: